According to OSHA Standard 29 CFR 1926.152(a)(1), “Only approved containers and portable tanks shall be used for storage and handling of flammable and combustible liquids. Approved safety cans or Department of Transportation-approved containers shall be used for the handling and use of flammable liquids in quantities of 5 gallons or less.”
A rule is mandatory any time the word “shall” is used, so we here at Safety Solutions and Supply the have put together a list to help you make sure your cans are approved by OSHA.
Traits of an approved container for flammable liquids:
- Has a capacity of 5 gallons.
- Has a flash arresting screen.
- Has a spring closing lid.
- Has a spout cover.
- Has a UL Listed mark.
- Has DOT approval marking.
- Approved by a nationally recognized testing laboratory.
These safety traits will help make sure your can is proper designed so that it will safely relieve internal pressure when it is exposed to fire.
Additional safety tips:
- Only fill containers while they are sitting on flat ground.
- Make sure your can meets the approved traits listed above.
- Place container a safe distance away from vehicles and people.
- While filling, be sure to keep the nozzle and can in contact.
- Don’t fill it up all the way, keep about 5% free from expansion.
- Make sure any spilled gasoline evaporates before putting the can in your vehicle.
We here at Safety Solutions and Supply are proud to offer different training services. If you are interested in keeping your employees safe, contact us today and allow us to share some knowledge with you. For more information or if you have any questions, give us a call today at 866-537-2262.
Safety Solutions & Supply
314 E. Canal St. (State Road 60)
Mulberry, Florida 33860